torsdag den 6. juni 2013

ALT for Damerne, June 1955

As I promised in a previous post I will scan from a vintage ALT for Damerne (ALL from the Ladies) from the fifties on a regular basis. I think I will scan every second months, so this year it will be the even months, next year can then be the odd months. Let's start with ALT for Damerne number 23 from June 1955. Lovely cover as always, I wouldn't mind wearing the nice pink dress:

Let's continue with fashion, which all we ladies love - here is a summer cocktail of nice dresses:
And remember to click all the scans into larger formats for details.

Pattern on fabric is here presenting the usable summer dress:

Party and colours - what we all want:
I love the dotted dress and the one on the right beside it.

Bettina is wondering was a regular article every week. Here she is wondering about commercials and the powers of persuasion:
Am I the only one to think TV-shop?

Confide to Mrs. Nini was also a regular article every week, here I have scanned the whole page:
There is the young girl who hopes she can get medicine for untimely tears, the blood donor lady who is unsatisfied with her plaquette for her donor activity, and there is the elderly (!) home maker (aged 48), who is in doubt if she can buy herself new and smart lingerie for some of her heritage. Oh well, time has certainly changed!

You can also knit fashion - just look at this nice blouse:

You could also find the weekly menu plan every week:
I can never think of anything to eat for dinner, and I suppose homemakers back then had the same problem.

Do you have an extra and overlooked room? Then here is inspiration and advice on organizing the little room with lots of cosiness:

And now to the commercials, my all time favourites. Let's start at the practical end with an unheard luxury - an Atlas refrigerator, and the ad even has a recipe:
My mum had one like this in our summer cottage, when I was a child. It was only half as big and without light, because it was too expensive.

Two ads in one - Cutex Spillpruf, which doses the precise quantity of polish for one nail (which I don't understand, but anyway):
And a Piccolo at each finger - a funny name for a dish washing soap.

Feel secure in the summer heat ... with Bac:
I remember my mother used this while I was a child.

And the best Danish commercial slogan ever - Dandy, kvikker bestandig (equals to: Dandy, stimulates constantly):

Who doesn't want to glide in the limelight?
It is possible with stockings from Indra, with the long high heel, which is the latest fashion.

And instant soup, all homemakers' lifebuoy, when time presses:
My mother used this when we drove to our summer cottage and arrived late and tired. It was dark and cold, so dad lit the fireplace and mum made instant soup - which I remember tasted great.

Let's end with some small truths, said by Agathe Christie:

Mothers with self-sacrificing sons
don't like young girls.

It is no use thinking how bad you are.

One of the most difficult things is to find out
if people really is what the pretend to be.

She's still right.

4 kommentarer:

  1. I can explain Cutex Spillproof since I have used it in the 60's. It had an opaque white plastic insert in the neck of the bottle. This little choker not only squeezed the brush as you pulled it out of the bottle, it also prevented spillage if you tipped the bottle over briefly. Much ado about nothing! I still had to dip 3 times per nail as my nails are large and always long. However, it was clever marketing. Flaurella ~

    SvarSlet
    Svar
    1. That was exactly my thougth! Thank you for the explanation. I also thought that nails vary a lot in sizes, my Little finger and my thumb is very different and since I have painted so many nails, I know sizes are very different from woman to woman. But the idea that it doesn't spill if it tumbles is great, they could elaborate on that. DH hates the small spots of polish on the living room table. Men! ;)

      Slet
  2. These 1950s fashion filled pages are magnificent! I have a dress that, though the cut is very different, has a similar pink and white polka dot pattern as the first frock here. Thank you for sharing these wonderful images, dear Sanne, I really enjoyed all of them!

    ♥ Jessica

    SvarSlet
    Svar
    1. I'm glad you can enjoy my scannings although the text is in Danish. The fashion Photos always inspire.

      Slet

You might also like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...