torsdag den 15. maj 2014

ALT for Damerne, 1955, No. 20

I'm a little behind scanning vintage ALT for Damerne (Everything for the Ladies, text only in Danish, unfortunately, but I write small recaps for each photo and hope the scans will inspire you) for you, because I was so excited over our trip to Paris that I had to share it with you first. I scan and publish Everything for the Ladies every second month, this year in the uneven months, but this magazine from the middle of May 1955 is really full of goodies, so I have scanned a lot for you today. :) Remember that everything can be clicked into larger and readable size.

Beautiful cover - I love her makeup:
ALT for Damerne, nr. 20, 1955

Summer is just around the corner, so no balcony without flowers:
ALT for Damerne, nr. 20, 1955

Bettina wonders was a weekly column. Here she wonders why we always have to be so busy:
ALT for Damerne, nr. 20, 1955
I cannot agree more - we should all find time to relax now and then, and do what we want to.

In the binocular was also a weekly page:
ALT for Damerne, nr. 20, 1955
Here you'll find great ideas, tips, and advice about this and that. Here is a trick to prolong the little girl's reins in a very smart way. There are tips for sewing an easy cover for the mattress, and a story about a tea pot that was rescue from the bin, because it had a broken handle. I don't think anybody would do this today, but it is a fine idea.

Entrust Yourself to Mrs Nini was also a weekly page:
ALT for Damerne, nr. 20, 1955
This week you can read about a mother who worries about the way her teenage daughter dresses, so back then mothers also found their teenage daughters irritating, and there is a letter from a single lady asking everybody to leave the single ladies alone, I think this is still true.

Let's take a look at fashion, where patterns are the latest:
ALT for Damerne, nr. 20, 1955

And there is a lovely set from Pattern on Fabric (a set you could sew):
ALT for Damerne, nr. 20, 1955

3 good suggestions - I think we can all use good suggestions:
ALT for Damerne, nr. 20, 1955
Lovely jackets and sets.

Needlework of the week is this super practical sewing apron, which I am going to make myself one of:
ALT for Damerne, nr. 20, 1955
Then you have everything at hand.

If you don't like the bigger project then this tray cloth that says summer might be something for you:
ALT for Damerne, nr. 20, 1955
Nice and easy little project.

What a fantastic puzzle sofa this is:
ALT for Damerne, nr. 20, 1955
Such a brilliant idea, I wish a furniture company would make it again.

Dinner is served was also a weekly page:
ALT for Damerne, nr. 20, 1955
In 1955 money was tight and several goods were still rationed, so the housewife had to serve the dinner in a festive and funny way, and this serving does look very festive ideed.

The titbit of the week is chicken in courtesan:
ALT for Damerne, nr. 20, 1955

If the main dish is too small, you can make cheese pancakes as extra:
ALT for Damerne, nr. 20, 1955
Short Film was also a weekly column, that showed different subjects from cooking to sewing techniques.

And here is a lovely short story that really catches the feeling of the time, unfortunately in Danish, I know. It is about a young couple with a tight budget, she wants to go on a summer holiday, because they didn't do last year where they got new carpets. But he wants a car, and not just a small, used one, but a brand new smart one. So the question is if their marriage can survive his increasing penny-pinching:
ALT for Damerne, nr. 20, 1955

Lovely illustration:
ALT for Damerne, nr. 20, 1955

The end of the short story:
ALT for Damerne, nr. 20, 1955ALT for Damerne, nr. 20, 1955

And now on to the ads, where I start with some really elegant ones - Opal, my stocking:
ALT for Damerne, nr. 20, 1955

Amorette, the choice of the mannequins (with names of mannequins at the top):
ALT for Damerne, nr. 20, 1955

You could also choose a skirt from Edelweiss, which is feminine and light as a spider's web:
ALT for Damerne, nr. 20, 1955
The joy of giving - back then you also went to the jeweller when giving gifts.

Have you all found this summer's bathing suit? If not, I recommend one from Jantzen:
ALT for Damerne, nr. 20, 1955
If you get a figure like that, I'll take several.

Angel Face - America's most sold makeup now in i Denmark:
ALT for Damerne, nr. 20, 1955
Back then everything from the US and especially Hollywood sold, most of it was just Danish.

Indoor cosyness with bisquits from Marie Kiks:
ALT for Damerne, nr. 20, 1955

You could also choose this trio and intensify the cosyness:
ALT for Damerne, nr. 20, 1955
They are all outstanding but together they intensify the cosyness.

If you don't want to work hard making soup from scratch, try Blue Ribbon:
ALT for Damerne, nr. 20, 1955

I end with two differnt ads, which I haven't seen before. The first is for the ideal pram:
ALT for Damerne, nr. 20, 1955

The other is for the much-coveted rattan cane furniture from Laurids Lønborg:
ALT for Damerne, nr. 20, 1955

I wish you all a lovely spring. :)

4 kommentarer:

  1. I love looking through vintage magazines. Thank you for putting these scans online for everyone to read.

    SvarSlet
    Svar
    1. You're welcome, Jessica. I hope my foreign readers might get inspired by the photos and my short English recaps. This year I scan every second months, in the uneven months. And a warm welcome to my blog. :)

      Slet
  2. Yay!!! I adore and have missed these awesome, vintage eye candy filled posts. Thank you very much for reviving this series, dear Sanne. Now I know what I'll be swooning (that amazing window pane style dress, for example) as I go about my Sunday. :)

    Big hugs & joyful weekend wishes,
    ♥ Jessica

    SvarSlet
    Svar
    1. You are the sweetest, dear. :) I always want ALL the fashion showed in these old magazines. I don't think I ever get tired of fifties style.

      Slet

You might also like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...